Do you love talking about the collisions between art and science? Are you interested in shaping the experience of Science Gallery Detroit's exhibitions? Consider joining our mediator team! We are currently searching for mediators for DEPTH, our summer 2019 exhibition that examines the power and complexities of water. Read below to learn more about what a mediator does and submit your application.
ABOUT SCIENCE GALLERY MEDIATORS
Mediators are a team of young adults with a passion for talking about science and the arts. The main role of a Mediator is to enhance Science Gallery Detroit’s visitor experience by facilitating conversation. This can happen through a number of avenues; facilitator, provocateur, communicator, scientist, tour guide — you will find these roles and more all encompassed within what it means to be a Mediator.
The primary role of Mediators will be to share and discuss your expert knowledge of the current exhibit pieces, along with your knowledge of Science Gallery Detroit and its activities, to the general public.
This is a temporary, part-time position, and the time of employment will be from May 1 - September 1, 2019. Mediators will be paid $15 per hour, and can expect to work 4-8 hour shifts per day, and between 10 to 19 hours/week. You must be 18 or older to apply.
- Stay informed and up to date on program content, including taking part in Mandatory Mediator Training Sessions (exhibition-specific and general training)
- Facilitate & provide a unique visitor experience for patrons attending the exhibitions, events, workshops etc. - initiating conversation, providing an opportunity for participants to think deeper about their experience
- Organize and deliver guided tours of our exhibitions for schools and visiting groups
- Assist in the delivery of workshops and staging of events under direction of the programming and operations team
- Carry out experiments and demonstrations as part of exhibition or research programs running within the exhibition
- Assist in the delivery and facilitation of off-site events
- Take part in reviews, and critical reflections on performance, exhibitions and event seasons
- Occasionally involved in blogging and social media where an interest has been identified
QUALITIES OF A MEDIATOR
The Mediator program was founded upon the idea that Science Gallery is a space for conversation, for ideas to collide and opinions to be shared. Mediators like people - they do not necessarily have to be extroverts, but they should have an evident passion for science and the arts and be able to initiate and engage in open conversations with visitors where both parties can bring their knowledge to the table. In short, Mediators don't have to have all the answers, in fact, we don't want mediators to act like they are the smartest people in the room (even if they are!)
Mediators are selected for the role because they are interested in the world around them, and in particular in the arts, science, and design. They are typically very interested in building Science Gallery Detroit, in what happens in a space where art and science meld in new and sometimes surprising ways, in what way the things they see/do/say/hear at Science Gallery Detroit might play out in the world, in subject areas outside of their personal interests, and in listening to and learning from others.
Mediating is a very useful stepping stone on a pathway; young adults with a clear engagement with Science Gallery's mission and vision and an ambition to use the unique skills and knowledge that they will gain here in their future endeavors are important. Science Gallery is much more interested in exploring rich questions together than having exactly correct answers.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications for mediators are now closed. We expect to select candidates for interviews by March 27, and to conduct interviews April 3 -- April 10, 2019.